“If you want to awaken all of humanity, then awaken all of yourself, if you want to eliminate the suffering in the world, then eliminate all that is dark and negative in yourself. Truly, the greatest gift you have to give is that of your own self-transformation.”
I found today’s quote of the day while reading this awesome blog (thanks for much enjoyed daily reading) which is a wonderful source of interesting and thought-provoking stories. For me it was a timely find. I have been contemplating my own interactions with those around me and how I could improve my way of going. When training animals such as horses and dogs I have found that conditioning works well. So why not for me too.
Also another blogger…Judith (thanks for the tip), has often mentioned a series of books written by Don Miguel Ruiz, which focuses on personal transformation. “The Four Agreements” is the particular book which I got from the library and read along with another in the series which is referred to as a companion book to The Four Agreements. While interesting reading, I did not embrace the entire concept of the book completely. I have, however, taken the four agreements independent of the book as extremely wise and sensible as well as something that I personally will aspire to. Oh and another caveat to my taking of these agreements into my daily life is that I reworded them somewhat to remove the negative connotation.
These are the four agreements from Don Miguel Ruiz which I modified only slightly for me; included are definitions which are direct quotes from the book:
- Be impeccable with your word:
- “Speak with integrity. Say only what you mean. Avoid using the word to speak against yourself or to gossip about others. Use the power of your word in the direction of truth and love.“
- Take nothing personally:
- “Nothing others do is because of you. What others say and do is a projection of their own reality, their own dream. When you are immune to the opinions and actions of others, you won’t be the victim of needless suffering.“
- Make no assumptions:
- “Find the courage to ask questions and to express what you really want. Communicate with others as clearly as you can to avoid misunderstandings, sadness, and drama. With just this one agreement, you can completely transform your life.“
- Always do your best:
- “Your best is going to change from moment to moment; it will be different when you are healthy as opposed to sick. Under any circumstance, simply do your best and you will avoid self-judgment, self-abuse, and regret.“
These concise, easy to remember gems of wisdom are now a part of my daily life. When I suspect negativity starting to slip me up, I have these as a reminder to snap out of it before negativity has a chance to take over.
Today’s “stone” is Day 244 conditioning, sit…stay